Avery Brooks Captain Benjamin Sisko

Exposing Google's Evil Dominion, or Why I Write Science Fiction

6:47 AMDaVaun Sanders

When I first read about Project Glass awhile back, I couldn't help but smile. Who wouldn't want a pair? Walk around with my own true-to-life Terminator vision? Sold. Something I didn't even realize was on my bucket list. I swear these Google tech guys epitomize pure genius, coming up with such mind numbingly awesome -- oh, wait. I've seen this before. Where, you ask? Set your clock back to the good ole 90's...


So I never developed into a full-fledged Trekkie growing up. Probably something to do with my dad coercing me into recording the first four seasons of Voyager on VHS. (Thank heavens for small mercies.) But the series I recall most fondly is Deep Space Nine. Netflix set my novel release back by at least three weeks when they finally added DS9 to the vault. Glorious days.

To quasi-quote my fellow sci-fi buff, Big Tone: "Deep Space Nine had some of the best writing of all the Star Trek series, fam. And Avery Brooks had one of the coldest monologues ever." Couldn't agree more. (And yes, I will plunder your random conversations/tweets/posts without warning and throw them on my blog. Sleep in fear.)

Watching these episodes over again, I can't help but realize how DS9 influenced my creativity, long before I knew I would even be a writer. I'd forgotten that Captain Sisko's son eventually decided to write for his career. The parallels are eerie. I even started out in journalism (shout out to PhxSoul.com!) before moving on to novels, same as Jake.

Such ironic coincidences in my personal journey. Yet there's nothing coincidental about Google Glasses at all. Some engineers saw the Jem' Hadar in DS9, or maybe Tom Cruise's spare eyes in Minority Report, or some cool eye-wear that predates them both. These engineers next undoubtedly asked themselves the Pivotal Question: Why not?

Our present state of wonder is intrinsically connected to our past heights of imagination. As science fiction writers, we quite literally mold the fantastic ideas that will shape our collective future. We can share in the surprise, and the pride, and the horror of how things eventually turn out.

So the question becomes, what shall we dream about? Which of today's ideas will Google or her progeny be developing fifty years from now? Implants that are powered by sunlight? (Too late.) Arcologies with no ghettos? Planetary exploration where ensigns of a particular hue survive longer than five minutes?

It's entirely up to us. This is why sci-fi will always be my favorite genre.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form